Tuesday, June 2, 2009

my new and improved commoner goodbye, the uncut 600 word version of it.

When you think of high school, what comes to mind? What is that thing you always are going to remember? My answer, undoubtedly, is being apart of the Commoner.

As soon as I joined newspaper my sophomore year, I knew that this class was unlike any that I had ever taken before. It was loud, people were dancing, everyone was talking at light speed and animatedly using their hands. It was a completely unique situation, one that I had never encountered before. All the sophomores looked around, enchanted at what was going on around us. This was something special - and we were apart of it now.

Immediately Commoner was my favorite class. I counted down, “only two more classes to go”. I knew that once it was 6th period, there were an extraordinary amount of things to involve myself in.

Being apart of journalism has taught me a lot. I now carry in my tool belt an insane amount of AP style rules, an extensive knowledge of Adobe InDesign, the ability to talk to complete strangers about the most obscure topics for articles thanks to newspaper.

I’ve almost become a pro at stapling. Wait, what? Yes, stapling. The part of our room that is most often stared and gawked at is the Wall of Shame. It’s an enormous bulletin board where items deemed worthy enough are placed upon it. It’s a Commoner tradition that has been going on for years and hopefully many more years to come. No Scotland allowed, sophomores!

My favorite pieces on the Wall include: a yamaclaus invitation from the 2007 Chrismukkah that Colin and I memorably burned our fingers making, photos of Ratar, Batar, Kyrie and core four, the letter we each contributed to that won Locey her well-deserved WJEA adviser of the year award last year, the translation of “You can’t sit with us!” from Mean Girls in Korean which I‘m sure will come in handy some day, a “vignette” written by one very unconfident teen and an article cut out from The Apple Leaf about a woman named BJ Kuntz (don’t think I’m kidding).

These things may seem trivial, but they represent all those hours after school that we slaved away on the paper. “Slaved” because I often feel like an over-worked, under-paid slave after we finish each issue.

If I told you how often I’m in the Commoner room, you would think I was a total freak. But, I guess we’re all just a bunch of freaks. Who else sings musicals loud enough that visitors stop by our room after hearing us from the other end of the second floor, organizes frequent meal/drink orders with a cute, font-friendly list, points obnoxiously to strangers in the hallway saying “You’re going to Western!” and has a mini fridge with spray butter. (In case anyone is curious, the spray butter is actually kind of awesome and I suggest you all buy it.)

So, instead of leaving with you thinking about spray butter, I’ll leave you with this. Being on the Commoner has been the most magical experience.

If you aren’t on staff - I hope you walk past the room, peer in, see how incredible it is and walk away with utter jealousy. If you are on staff - thank you for everything you do. You’re all my favorite swirly babes. Ed. Board - you guys have made my life more colorful. Colin, Laurel, Hayley and Megan - you all are the kindest, most insightfully true people I know. I love you more than the Jonas Brothers and you know that’s saying something.